Monday, 1 December 2014

More Exhaust Work

Having decided not to 3D print the exhaust collectors, I will fabricate them. I do not feel skilled enough to weld a formed collector directly onto the sidepipes, so I will make a collector with stub pipes that fit into the sidepipes. Started by machining some stub pipes, fitted into the sidepipes then tack welded.


 Sliding fit into the pipes.


 Tacked a centre cone to cover the flat part between the pipes.


 Welded it all up.


 Fits ok.


Bought some formed stainless collectors from Columbia River, needed quite a bit of cutting and hammering to get a reasonable fit.


My welding is gas tight, strong, but not pretty, (It will be hidden and covered with insulation).


Some adjustment needed as stainless is notorious for distorting.


Fitted drilled plates to bolt the collector to the header.


Trial fit, then tack the remaining pipe.


 Final welding, not forgetting to purge the inside of the pipe with argon.


Complete pipe from manifold outlet to sidepipes.


 Looks like some odd steampunk device.


 Looks ok from the inside to.


 Now make one more..

No comments:

Post a Comment