Saturday, 5 September 2009

Goodwood (Driving a Cobra for real)


I had been given a Christmas present of driving a Cobra at Goodwood race track.  This was very well organised and after being kitted out, was handed over to some very experienced looking instructors who gave a brief driving introduction to driving the car like ‘use the throttle to take the corners’; (I always thought you used the steering wheel).

Drove round the virtually empty track, following a proper racing line aiming at yellow cones, thought I did really well after the first lap, until the instructor said I could stop driving like I was in a supermarket car park and drive properly instead.

As we entered the straight, was told to press the accelerator to the floor and not let off until told to. The machine took off like Voyager entering warp, at about 400mph I lifted the accelerator off the floor slightly and was given a very firm NO. At 10 feet from the first corner I was told to brake hard then turn, certain death was avoided and the cobra sailed easily round the corner. What a car....., must remember to make sure all the bolts are tight on mine, I wouldn’t want anything coming loose at those speeds.

Altogether a really good day, my thanks to all the staff, (and their patience!).


No comments:

Post a Comment